While many pet parents love to travel, they don't love leaving their pets at home while they go and explore new places. Luckily, certain cities in the U.S. are notoriously dog‐friendly, so Fido can join you on your next outing!
The best cities to visit with your pup are ones that tend to have a high number of dog parks, dog‐friendly restaurants and shopping centers. They also have good weather for at least a portion of the year, making them convenient destinations for you and your furry friends. Check out some of our favorite dog‐friendly U.S. cities for inspiration before your next trip.
- Scottsdale, AZ – This city tops the list due to its good weather, dog-friendly restaurants, hotels and outdoor activities. Scottsdale is a great place to be with an active pup – just remember that temperatures can get hot when you're spending time in the sun.
- San Francisco, CA – San Francisco is the most walkable city in the U.S.1, making it perfect for your daily exercise with Fido. With breathtaking views and beautiful weather, San Fran is our number two city.
- Las Vegas, NV – Las Vegas has excellent weather and numerous dog parks to enjoy with your furry friend. Despite its high cost of living for pet parents, it gets the bronze medal for out‐of‐town visitors.
- New York, NY – New York is another one of the most walkable cities and has the most dog parks per capital in the U.S.1
- Chicago, IL – As home to a plethora of dog‐friendly restaurants, shops and hotels, Chicago is the number five pick on our list.
- Albuquerque, NM – With great weather, beautiful landscapes and a low cost for pet ownership, Albuquerque is the perfect destination for pups and pet parents who can't get enough time outdoors.
- Denver, CO – Active pet? Then this is the spot for you. With beautiful hikes and plenty of dog‐friendly restaurants, Denver is number seven on our list.
- Minneapolis, MN – Minneapolis is the perfect city for dog lovers and pet parents of all varieties. The city offers a little bit of everything and is perfect for traveling on a budget since it has a fairly low cost of living.
- Portland, OR – Whether you're stopping by or staying forever, Portland's consistent (though not always sunny) climate and beautiful hiking opportunities make it a great place for pets.
- Sacramento, CA – Last but certainly not least, Sacramento's low chance of rain and high number of dog-friendly restaurants land it in our final spot.
Traveling with your pet can be a fun and rewarding experience, especially when visiting an accommodating city. Just make sure to register them with HomeAgain® before your trip for peace of mind in the event you get separated in a new city.